objective: build cool shit (that matters)!
Through the many projects I have been fortunate to work on I have developed some personal philosophies to the design process:
- Design without ego
- Build/assemble the first one of whatever you make
- Everyone brings something to the table
- Surround oneself with smarter more experienced people
- Collaborate with creative and excited people
- Stay focused and organized
I am trained as a mechanical engineer. Playing with electronics is a hobby. Understanding the interdependencies of mechatronic systems, designing highly loaded structural components - pushing the limits of material properties, tightly packaging all of these specifications within the tight constraints of an industrial design aesthetic while negotiating realistic manufacturing process tolerances - this is what I get paid to do.
In my "free time", however, I have a great deal of additional interests technical, political, and crafty. Often, my hobby projects are geared towards building new expertise, such that the technical interests may branch into career skills - a curriculum if you will:
- embedded systems, board layout, firmware development
- controls, trajectory planning, and optimization
- power electronics
- fermentation and food preservation
- mountain biking
- political action
- making cool projects
I am now currently pursuing a PhD at MIT working in The Center for Extreme Bionics at the MIT Media Lab. I am mighty busy, but I am still always interested in rad projects. If you're interested in collaborating I can be reached via email at: cybanical[at]gmail.com
- Carney, Matthew, and Benjamin Jenett. "Relative Robots: Scaling Automated Assembly of Discrete Cellular Lattices." Proceedings of the 2016 Manufacturing Science, and Engineering Conference, June 2016. MSEC2016-8837
- Carney, Matthew (2015) "Discrete Cellular Lattice Assembly" (Masters thesis).
- Gershenfeld, N., Carney, M., Jenett, B., Calisch, S. and Wilson, S. (2015), Macrofabrication with Digital Materials: Robotic Assembly. Archit. Design, 85: 122–127. doi:10.1002/ad.1964
- Peek, Nadya, Langford, William, Gershenfeld, Neil, Carney, Matthew (2014) "Discrete Motion System." US Patent Application 2014/199,698.
- Carney, Matthew, Edsinger, Aaron (2013) "Embedded Encoder for an Outrunner Brushless Motor." US Patent Application.
- Magnusson, Lee, Carney, Matthew, Edsinger, Aaron (2013) "Low Cost Block and Tackle Robot Transmission." US Patent Application Number 14/061,669.
- Patten, Eli W., Carney, Matthew, "A Multi-Directional Tribo-System: Testing the Wear of UHMWPE under Sliding, Rolling and Rotation." ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, June 2011. SBC2011-53616
- Carney, Matthew "Energy Capture in Flowing Fluids." U.S. Patent Application Number 11/509,667. 25 August 2006.
Alpbach European Forum Technology Symposium (2016): Cybernetics in Advanced Energy and Production Systems Some interviews: